Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jocelyn You-Na Black

Greetings.


Jocelyn, whose real Korean name is You-Na, is a transfer student from Korea. Maybe I should say that she was sent here by her mother to live with her uncle, aunt, and cousins, who, ironically, I went to elementary and middle school with at Southington Heights Christian Academy until I went eighth grade. She was in my freshman Geometry class, in which I sat next to and perpetually joked with Joseph. (I still got an A. Who da boss?) I didn't know her very well. She kept to herself and only spoke when the teacher spoke to her. I don't blame her; her English was and still is, though less so, a little bit shaky.

I actually met her and became friends with her sophomore year. She was in my P.E. class and we were always the ones left without partners or teams or what-have-yous. So we were forced to partner together most often. I didn't mind; she was fit, but lazy. I was fat, but my heart rate easily went up for heart rate monitors. Soon she started cheating off of me for our weekly grade. And we started talking.

Sophomore year was hard for me, what with the Freddy Ackerby fiasco. Jocelyn came at a slightly bad time. But she started sitting with us at our lunch table late September. Her friends from freshman year had transferred or were ignoring her, I am still unclear as to that point. Nevertheless, we couldn't seem to get rid of her. It was she that brought Emma, Pete, and Lucky to the table junior year (who have since disappeared) and introduced Bennie to the delight that is "kimpa", a kind of Korean sushi that Bennie, Emma, Pete, and Lucky are all addicted to. Neither I nor Joseph like them.

There are a lot of things about Joss that I am uncertain of. Like why she left Korea, for one. Then there are a plethora of little questions like does she miss it. But I know one thing: I would never replace Joss, Bennie, Claire, Ally, or Joseph for anyone in the entire world.


Hugz
HM

No comments:

Post a Comment