Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fine Cinema

Greetings.

Ha ha ha ha ha!! I can't believe you fell for the title...
Nothing really exciting happened today. I mean, I watched movies, INUYASHA: AFFECTIONS TOUCHING ACROSS TIME, THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, and the "As Told By Ginger" special FAR FROM HOME, and I had dinner with Nana and Gramps and Bentley and Dad and Bev. But today I wish to discuss my favorite movies.
I separate my favorite movies by genre. As I have said before, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN is my favorite action movie, ADDICTED TO LOVE is my fave rom-com, BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT are my favorite superhero movies (I consider those different than action because they have formerly-established characters), and the newer ALICE IN WONDERLAND is my favorite fantasy movie. But there are three movies tied for my favorite animated movie: PONYO, CORALINE, and THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. PONYO is a fantastically made movie. They say it's a rip-off of THE LITTLE MERMAID, but it's actually a retelling of the original Hans Christian Andersen and an opera. And, unlike the Disney version, it's not based on appearance and short term love. This movie is based on the purest kind of love: the love of a child, which is exactly what Ponyo and Sosuke (the prince) are.
CORALINE is a well-developed stop-animated movie. There are intriguing characters, like the Cat, Wybie, and Other Mother, psychological analysis, and a true hero. Coraline is a realistic girl who feels unloved by her workaholic parents, especially her sharp-tongued callous mother. So she escaped to the Other World where she receives everything she ever wanted. Unfortunately, that paradise is short-lived when she realizes that Other Mother wants to consume her life. It's a complicated movie. Some say it's creepy, but I find it fascinating.
But the movie I watch over and over again and not ONCE has it gotten old is THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. I watch it every Christmas, Halloween, and my birthday. It's an amazing concept. I don't think anyone has ever gone inside the different holidays before, though the SANTA CLAUS movies come very close. Jack is the most endearing dead guy and Sally is... peculiar. I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to do anything and not get hurt and, when injured, sew yourself back together? Evel Kinevel would KILL for that extra security. And the songs... so catchy! I mean, I could sing "The Oogie Boogie Song" for days. I just love the movie.
It has occurred to me that I like almost every single Tim Burton movie I have ever seen. Even SWEENEY TODD if I don't look at the bloody parts. But I still haven't seen EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER see ED WOOD or WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. (Long story, perhaps I'll tell it another time.)

Hugz
HM

No comments:

Post a Comment